Friday, April 17, 2009
- Mon. April 27, 5:00 pm: Marks Meadow PGO/MM Community (MM auditorium)
- Wed. 4/29, 12 noon: Wildwood, location TBA
- Wed. 4/29: 5 pm Fort River Library
- Thurs. 4/30: 5 pm Crocker Farm Library
- Tues. 5/5, 7pm: Community Forum, Middle School Auditorium.
A hearty thank you to all those who contributed wonderful comfort foods, great salads & tremendous sweets to the Stress-Buster Teacher & Staff Appreciation Lunch last week. Your efforts were most appreciated! The teachers & staff were thrilled to be so well thought of & taken care of....you may have noticed some of them walking around 6 inches off the ground since then & looking very relaxed. The Ft. River community came out in force for the event & that wonderful "can do" spirit insured the event's success. There were leftovers enough to feed folks a second day! There was a buzz in the building for sure & it wasn't just because of MCAS testing! Thank you to Elly Hosea, Kathy Niedzielski, Cathy Cullen and Ji-Yeon Kim for their tireless efforts preparing the Staff Lounge & setting up the food. Thank you to the magical fingers of Michael Millner of Bodies in Balance Massage Therapy here in Amherst, who loosened many a tense neck & perhaps hit a trigger point or two for those teachers & staff needing a few kinks worked out. To Beth Cook & her able assistant in the kitchen Leslie of Flayvors of Cook Farm in Hadley, the mashed potatoes & gravy, baked macaroni & cheese, tomato cheddar soup & tapioca pudding were all fantastic! It was truly a group effort. To all the fine cooks & bakers in our own Ft. River Community who contributed Cathy Cullen, Joy Sullivan, Elly Hosea, Eileen Marasco, Nancy Reffsin, Kathy Niedzielski, Ann McLaughlin, Desiree Bohl, Ji-Yeon Kim, Ken Bernstein, Suzanne Schilling, Alison Donta-Venman, Ellie Skinner, Carol Richardson, Caroline Goutte & others who contributed food items to the spread, many, many thanks! Sue Borden, Lynn Hayes, Hana Rivkin, Pam Brigham & Libby Stanforth pitched in with drinks & ice...thanks so much...and where would we have been without Liza Cunningham's contribution of paper products to serve it all up! Big thanks to one & all who participated & most of all thank you to our outstanding teachers & staff who make Ft. River such a special place for all of our children. Kudos to you more than anything else for all that you do for the kids...every child, every day. A B-I-G thank you to our crackerjack office secretaries Karen Bonneau, Jessica Hanson & Paula Mangiaratti for all their wonderful administrative support of the day. You ladies rock. Ft. River's lucky to have you Hope we had enough chocolate on the menu for Jessica!
Friday, April 10, 2009
Public forums have been scheduled to discuss the budget problems facing the Amherst public schools. Representatives from the Superintendent's Office and the School Committee will be holding forums to discuss the potential impact of two possible scenarios for upcoming school years. These scenarios are: reducing the number of elementary schools to three by closing Marks Meadow School (and redistricting the remaining schools) or keeping the current four schools. The possible impact of each option on the budget will be discussed. Please plan on attending one of the the forums. The same information will be provided at each. From the ARPS website:
Public Forums Set Regarding Potential Redistricting of Amherst Public Schools Home
At their March 17th meeting, the Amherst School Committee made a motion to close Marks Meadow Elementary School at the end of the 2009-2010 school year and redistrict to create three elementary schools with proportionate numbers of children on free/reduced lunch for the start of the 2010-2011 school year. The following public meetings are scheduled to provide the community with opportunities to hear more about the educational and budgetary impact of redistricting, as well as to ask questions and provide feedback:
- Wednesday, April 29th at 12:00 Noon: Wildwood PGO/Wildwood Community (WW location TBA)
- Wednesday, April 29th at 5:00 p.m.: Fort River PGO/FR Community (FR location TBA)
- Thursday, April 30th at 5:00 p.m.: Crocker Farm PGO/CF Community (CF library)
- NOTE: The Marks Meadow PGO/MM Community date is still being finalized. It will be posted ASAP.
- Tuesday, May 5th at 7:00 p.m.: Community-Wide Forum (Middle School auditorium)
The Amherst School Committee plans to take a vote on the redistricting motion at their regular meeting on Tuesday, May 19th. Redistricting is not an agenda topic for their regular meeting next Tuesday, April 14th.
Friday, April 3, 2009
- Kindergarten: May 8 -- Kindergarten Family dance party, FR cafeteria, 5-7pm.
- Grade 1: April 13 -- Reading night/PJ party, FR library/lobby, 6:30-8pm.
- Grade 2 TBA
- Grade 3: May 15 -- Potluck/games, Mill River Park. Time: TBA.
- Grade 4: DATE TBA. Potluck dinner/exhibition, FR cafeteria, 5:30pm. (PLEASE NOTE: this event will be rescheduled from the original date of Apr. 7th.)
- Grade 5: April 29. Family fun-n-games evening. 6:30-8:00pm at Fort River. (Rain date: Tuesday, May 5)
- Grade 6: Friday, June 19, Graduation.
"I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver" -- Maya Angelou.